[LINK] Finally up to date on the Shuttle

Frank O'Connor foconno1@bigpond.net.au
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:23:01 +1100

I suppose an easy way of looking at it might be to make gravity
central to the equation ... which it is.

a. Now with gravity you have the Inverse Square Rule ... which means
the closer you are to a body the more gravitational effect it will
have on you.

b. That means to stay in a stable lower level orbit requires more
energy that to stay in a higher level stable orbit.

c. The energy used to maintain this stability is the centrifugal
force ... and is an accelerative/velocity function of the momentum of
a body around a central point. (It can be anchored by gravity, string
or whatever.)

d. Reduce this energy when gravity is the anchor, and gravitic
attraction becomes greater than the centrifugal force which was
balancing the orbit ... reducing the distance between yourself and
the attracting body - and increasing the gravitic effect as you drop
lower.

e. The simple act of this reduction in velocity and acceleration and
close relations with the attracting body however converts potential
energy that had been stored into the orbiting body getting it into
the orbit (in which kinetic energy was converted to potential energy)
back into kinetic energy ... but on a different vector to the
centrifugal energy (which had been vectored/angled away from the
attracting body) and toward the attracting body.

Hence the increase in speed (due to gravitc attraction) as a result
of backing off on your centrifugal energy.

The bottom line is that there are a number of different vectors and
forces that come into play, and a number of conversions of potential
(stored) energy that relate to getting the orbiting body to where it
was at in the first place.

As I said in another post ... I wish someone would invent viable
ant-gravity.        :)

				Regards,