[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney

Grant Bayley gbayley@ausmac.net
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:06:02 +1100 (EST)

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Linda Rouse wrote:

> Numbers rumoured at 250,000+ - certainly the biggest rally I've seen
> in sydney since ant-vietnam marches some 30 years ago. Filled Hyde
> Park and all surrounding streets.
> Exciting to be there - all races, all ages ... but will it make a difference?.

If only so it can't be said that "everyone is behind it" and that we're
all lovey dovey in here, I hope such protests will make no difference at
all.  I have my reasons for supporting action against countries such as
Iraq and North Korea, not the least of which is a good knowledge of the
history of the 20th century, which includes an understanding that
appeasing, containing or being diplomatically circle-jerked by dictators
such as Saddam Hussein or Kim Jong Il only tends to embolden them in the
future.  Amidst the lack of international agreement on Iraq, and even
before an outcome has been decided at the UN or unilaterally achieved by
the US and allies, North Korea is beginning to threaten neighbour states
such as Japan, and Japan is getting quite justifiably concerned.

Or to put all this rather more bluntly, I pity you all for thinking that
by taking a back seat in these world matters, you'll secure some sort of
"peace" by avoiding the use of the one language that dictators like Saddam
Hussein and Kim Jong Il understand - force.  You might, but it won't last
long.  History assures us of that.

Grant