[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney

Grant Bayley gbayley@ausmac.net
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 23:23:51 +1100 (EST)

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Robin Whittle wrote:

> > Or to put all this rather more bluntly, I pity you all for thinking
> > that by taking a back seat in these world matters, you'll secure some
> > sort of "peace" by avoiding the use of the one language that dictators
> > like Saddam Hussein and Kim Jong Il understand - force.  You might,
> > but it won't last long.  History assures us of that.
>
> Why do you think that the USA, the wealthy Western nation and the UN
> should focus on these dictators while the USA and Israel systematically
> starve, terrorise and traumatise the Palestinians?
>
>    http://www.firstpr.com.au/nations/
>
>    http://www.fmep.org
>
> What's the proverb about getting a log out of your own eye first?   Why
> should any Muslim in particular, or anyone at all, think that the USA is
> genuinely interested in saving people from oppressive regimes when it
> bankrolls Israel and protects it from UN pressure?
>
> Worse still, Israel and the USA are democracies, so its a bit rich us
> democracies claiming we are a superior way of running  a country, when
> we tolerate or support decades of oppression of the Palestinians?
>
> I certainly agree that the UN should be in the business of saving the
> people of Iraq and North Korea, but it seems pointless to tackle these
> really hard nuts, where the leaders hide behind millions of people as
> shields, whilst at the same time refusing to do anything substantial
> about Israel.  Israel is a rogue state, with - according to one account
> - 100 nuclear weapons.   It has a lousy record of caring for those it
> does not like in its neighbouring country.  It invades and oppresses and
> pretends that the Palestinians should be happy with a rabbit-warren of
> disconnected territories, interspersed between fortified permanent
> Jewish settlements.
>
> Israel's neighbours and some of the Palestinians haven't been angelic
> either - but that's no reason to support or tolerate Israel's attempt to
> box up the whole Palestinian population in tiny disconnected remnants of
> their homeland as if this is what they need to feel secure and
> respected.

Why aren't the Palestinians helping themselves by stopping their campaign
of suicide bombings?  Do they not realise they are playing into the hands
of Israeli leaders like Ariel Sharon by continuing to pursue such
strategies?

I strenuously avoided mentioning religion in my previous posting.  I do
not believe it is an issue in the current situation with regards to Iraq
and North Korea.  Not even remotely.  If it is an issue, it is because of
the urgings and proclamations of radical islamic clerics in countries like
Indonesia and Iran, attempting to exploit the current situation by
igniting a latent hatred of the "great satan" amongst their minority
of followers.  Even the voice claimed to be Bin Laden is in on the act,
doing much the same.  Funnily enough, despite this, the Sixty Minutes
story tonight claimed that Iran was following the old adage of "the
enemy of my enemy is my friend" in cautiously supporting the US action
against Saddam Hussein in Iraq.

Regardless of everyone's evidently differing views, we live in interesting
times.

Grant