[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney

Jan Whitaker jwhit@melbpc.org.au
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 07:36:32 +1100

At 06:56 PM 16/02/03 +1100, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>Democrats foreign affairs spokeswoman Natasha Stott Despoja predicted the
>Iraqi issue would continue to burn beyond the next election and would haunt
>Mr Howard.

She also said that for a Prime Minister who led his whole career on public
opinion, it's a bit strange that he chose now to stop.

I also wondered if he thought the 4-5 on talk back radio who he normally
relies on, in Sydney on the conservative stations no less!, are more valid
public opinion than millions taking to the streets for hours?

The point about people being more afraid of Howard is an interesting
one.  Reminds me of the fable of the 'little boy who cried wolf' one too
many times.  What happens when Australia is really in imminent
danger?  Kevin Rudd made the comment, "It's the region, stupid", taking off
on Clinton's famous "It's the economy, stupid".

Jan

JLWhitaker Associates
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit@melbpc.org.au  --  http://member.melbpc.org.au/~jwhit/whitentr.htm