[LINK] Censorship, protest marches, OT & this list

Howard Lowndes lannet@lannet.com.au
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:32:44 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Bob Bain wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:57:33 +1100 (EST), Howard Lowndes wrote:
>
> >Sorry, no physical distress felt at all; no smoke alarms activated; just a
> >sadness that attractive young females feel that they have the need to
> >pollute themselves and others around them; have you ever tried kissing an
> >ashtray?
>
>  Are you opposed to cigarette advertising ?  Given your stance on
> smoking I'd take an educated guess that you would be.

I am fairly ambivalent about cigarette advertising, probably because I am
immune to most forms of advertising.

>  I have no problems with smoking at all (if indulged in in
> moderation).  Surely children's minds would be polluted by material
> such as this.

I disagree.  Of all of the legal and illicit uses of legal and illicit
drugs, smoking, whether it be tobacco, cannabis, crack or whatever I find
to be the most objectionable, simply because it has the potential to have
a physical impact on others within the immediate vicinity, whereas abuse
of alcohol, caffine, heroin, thinners (to some extent) only has a physical
effect on the immediate abuser.  I am caring to ignore social effects in
this argument.

There is nothing worse than a reformed smoker :)

>  Some of it was arguably "hard core" with cigarette burns applied to
> male genitalia..

...and they were stupid enough to allow it to happen?  Dickheads in more
than one sense.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people <http://www.lannetlinux.com>