[LINK] Finally up to date on the Shuttle

Antony Barry tony@tony-barry.emu.id.au
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:36:39 +1100

On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 10:06 AM, James Pearce wrote:

> I understand biology and ecology. I don't understand physics. I don't
> think
> this reflects different levels of complexity between the two, just the
> way I
> think.

Physics is successful because it tackles simple problems with simple
models. Biology is far, far more complex. A single cell is far more
complicated than a star for instance.

A star has axial and almost spherical symmetry. There are only a dozen
types of nuclear reactions important at any one time. We have very good
predictive and descriptive techniques to explain star formation and
evolution.

A cell is a double lipid layer container with ion channel entries to
control Ph and the transfer of various kinds of ions in and out such as
Ca and Na. There is a complicated dance of tRNA and mRNA from the DNA
nucleus to the Ribosomes leading the production of thousands of kinds
of protein any of which has the potential to interact with any other.
Then there is a whole range of other organelles within the cell such as
the mitochodria involved in energy via ATP.

We still don't even understand what the bulk of DNA is for and even the
simplest ecosystems are beyond clear modeling.

Tony

phone : +61 2 6241 7659 | mailto:me@Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: +61 4 1242 0397 | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au