[LINK] Messages to be monitored before going to schools

Chris Maltby chris@sw.oz.au
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:39:53 +1100

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 03:56:44PM +1100, Adam Todd wrote:
> Just in case no one picked this up ...  Interesting comments - particularly
> about allegations and child protection.

Indeed.

> Messages to be monitored before going to schools
> By Linda Doherty, Education Writer
> February 17 2003

<snip>

> "There's no doubt that student emails will be monitored. The department [of
> education] has the capacity to monitor every single email communication,"
> Ms Leete said.

I really doubt that they do. And if they do, it's hardly the best way to
spend education dollars...

> "We are advising our members that there is no such thing as a confidential
> email."

Fair enough, but that's not the same as "all emails will be monitored".

> All public schools and TAFE colleges are scheduled to have the email
> accounts by December, at a cost of $33 million. The Government will also
> provide email accounts for up to 2000 parents and citizens organisations in
> schools.

That's a lot of bucks for what should be a cookie-cutter rollout. Must
be using MS Exchange etc. I wonder if they've factored in the cost of
hacking?