[LINK] Apparently useless Mac Software

Antony Barry tony@tony-barry.emu.id.au
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:13:20 +1100

On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 02:56 PM, Rachel Polanskis wrote:

> I am sure many of you Mac fiends will get a laugh out of this.   Is
> RealBasic really
> as bad as Visual Basic?!

It has a few advantages such as being able to compile windows code and
Java as well as Mac code. There is a very healthy community supporting
it. See their webring -
http://k.webring.com/hub?sid=&ring=xbasic&id=&list

It won the  Apple Design Award 1999 for the Best New Product and runner
up for the Most Innovative and also the Best Macintosh User Experience,
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/1999/may/19awards.html. Out of the four
awards available it got one first and three seconds.

It won Macworld Magazines 2001 award for being the best software
development environment for the Mac..

I must admit to some bias regarding this software - My youngest son
Andrew, http://www.barrysoftware.com/ wrote the original version but
split up with the company http://www.realsoftware.com/ who now own the
software. He still gets royalty payments though. It won the award when
he was the sole developer for the company. He originally developed
RealBasic as shareware.  At that time it was called XBasic.

Tony

phone : +61 2 6241 7659 | mailto:me@Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: +61 4 1242 0397 | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au