[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney

Mark Hughes effectivebusiness@applications.com.au
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:52:48 +1100

Hundreds of thousands (or millions) of people walking to make the statement:
"No War" does not impress me.

If all those people walked to make the statement: "We call upon the United
Nations to act decisively to stop the dictator of Zimbabwe starving half his
population" - now, that would impress me.

Or if all those people walked to make the statement: "We call upon the
United Nations to act decisively to stop the dictator of North Korea
starving millions of his citizens while building nuclear bombs and missiles
to deliver them" - well, that would impress me as well.

Of if all those people walked to make the statement: "We call upon the
United Nations to act decisively to stop the dictator of Iraq from killing
millions of his citizens while building and using weapons of mass
destruction" - that would impress me also.

And if all those people walked to make the statement:  "Full equality of
opportunity between the sexes is a basic human right, and we call upon the
United Nations to stop treating as 'acceptable' all governments with
institutionalised discrimination against women", that would impress me even
more.

In the 1930's, lefties volunteered to serve in the International Brigades in
the Spanish Civil War, because they believed it was important to stop
dictators.

On a more Link-ish note,

* compare the detailed information provided by NASA:

 see
http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/investigation/timeline/index.html
 for a detailed view of information transmitted by the shuttle in its last
minutes

* with the level of information likely to be provided to the public about
the last communications / readings from the train in the Waterfall rail
accident that killed approximately the same number of people - and injured
more.

What do we need to do to convince our 'powers-that-be' that making a helluva
lot of info public from the start via the web is not in fact a strategy
fraught with risk, but in these days of scepticism is the only strategy that
leads to public confidence.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd