[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney

Bob Bain bobb@soxkat.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:16:11 +1100

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:52:48 +1100, Mark Hughes wrote:

>Hundreds of thousands (or millions) of people walking to make the statement:
>"No War" does not impress me.

 I believe it's part of a "keep fit" exercise.  There were heaps upon
heaps of people who attended a "we would like to keep our guns" rally
some years ago.  I stood at the sidelines and watched.

 It made little difference to gun laws.

 I've just finished watching the movie "Enigma" which relates to a
story relating to code breaking at Bletchley Park in the United
Kingdom during World War II.

 Most people today are aware of what took place there but here's a URL
for the (presumably few) who are unaware..

           http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/

"During WW2 the German armed forces top secret codes were broken at
Bletchley Park, providing the allies with vital information towards
their war effort.

The world's first programmable computer and other technologies we take
for granted today were initiated at Bletchley Park."

 =======================================

 Here work was so secret that the "Park" was segregated on a "need to
know" basis.  I believe there is much about current affairs that isn't
revealed to the people, and hence believe it highly probable that
those in positions of authority are more likely to be aware of risks
than those who simply read emotional accounts in newspapers.

 The film "Enigma" is an interesting one, but it requires
concentration.  It was co-produced by Mick Jagger and contains content
that might be of interest to those with an interest in computers,
cryptography and national security.

   http://www.discoverkate.com/enigma/

  Most enjoyable and interesting.  In a sense we trust our security to
those who are entitled to know and those who are entitled to know
often aren't at liberty to tell us all we'd like to know...

 codemarked
 the zealot

Bob Bain
Sydney Australia