[LINK] Messages to be monitored before going to schools

Chirgwin, Richard Richard.Chirgwin@informa.com.au
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:41:54 +1000

>> All public schools and TAFE colleges are scheduled to have the email
>> accounts by December, at a cost of $33 million. The Government will
also
>> provide email accounts for up to 2000 parents and citizens
organisations in
>> schools.
>
>That's a lot of bucks for what should be a cookie-cutter
>rollout. Must be using MS Exchange etc. I wonder if
>they've factored in the cost of hacking?

The cookie-cutter operator is Unisys. What, did we expect and outsorced
contract to be cheaper than DIY? Unisys was, last year, trumpeting the
wonders of its system to anyone who would listen - the less critical the
better, they scored big on morning radio I remember. At that time, we heard
a lot about how wonderful it would be, having a centrally-protected
content-filtered, hacker-proof schools Internet system.

E-mail monitoring was on the table when the contract was announced, so the
"big brother watching school e-mail" angle is a year old...there's no such
thing as old news, especially when there's an election on. Bob announces
something, it's news, and I wonder about the institutional memory at big
newspapers.

OK, there's a lot of schools. It's not that expensive per campus. I reckon
it would be worth going back 12/18 months and comparing the timetable in the
hype-sheets to the real timetable. Suggested story: school Internet rollout
in disarray?

RC