[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney

Chirgwin, Richard Richard.Chirgwin@informa.com.au
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:34:33 +1000

Really, arguing about the electoral value of a march is rather silly - not
because the march is meaningless, but because its meaning can't be
quantified. But extrapolating "this person didn't march" to "this person's
opinion is" is well beyond silly - I can't grasp how JH would make such a
statement.

Let's see. I guess the statement that "non-marchers are in favour of the
war" falls under "denying the antecedant" in my slip of paper entitled
"Twelve Errors of Logic".

Denying the antecedant: if A then B; not A, therefore not B. "All marchers
were opposed to the war; you didn't march, therefore you're not opposed to
the war." You cannot extrapolate the 19.4 million merely from their absence
at the march.

There is no suggestion that a march should "dictate" the direction of a
democracy. However, it is a valid and reasonable expression of a voice and
an opinion.

Richard Chirgwin