[LINK] Messages to be monitored before going to schools

Chirgwin, Richard Richard.Chirgwin@informa.com.au
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:06:58 +1000

Did some digging. The monitoring is definitely old news. Here's a snip from
the Unisys press release, dated 17th April 2002.

"The service and infrastructure, to be integrated and hosted by Unisys, will
provide filtered Internet and email services and accounts, web hosting
services and remote access for up to 1.2 million school and TAFE students
and 130,000 teachers and staff over three years."

There is a genuine news angle in the tussle between the Teachers' Fed and
the DET. But the funny thing is that the SMH has let the DET and Unisys off
the hook, because the election+union context is a distraction from the
changes of plans.

Here are the different rollout plans:
- three years (original press release)
- by June this year (SMH, August 26, 2002)
- by December (current story) - ie, "oops, no hope of getting it done by
June".

And: last August, the filters were "under development".

RC