And what of these children's rights? (was RE: [LINK] Messages to be monitored before going to schools)

Brenda Aynsley bpa@iss.net.au
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:49:18 +1030

Stilgherrian wrote:
> Monitoring of children's communication? Ahem!

[snip]

> I'm not sure that blanket monitoring of all students' communication
> helps preserve their rights. Have any of the articles so far addressed
> these concerns?

this is a service provided by the nsw gov, I doubt that it's compulsory and so
probably doesnt count as a deprivation of anyone's rights.  You agree, you use
you dont agree, you dont use, fairly standard T&Cs in today's climate I would
have thought.  It has the added advantage of providing, in theory at least, a
'safe' environment and allows the government to meet its duty of care obligation
to children at school.

cheers
brenda

--
Brenda Aynsley   ||  Mobile:+61(0) 412 662 988
BA, DipSocSci(sociology), DipAppSci(computing), MACS, PCP