[LINK] List scope and behavior was - Walk against War - sunday in sydney

M. da Cruz marghanita@ramin.com.au
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:34:47 +1100

Hi Tony,

I missed your comment, but was thinking of asking something along the
same lines. Below are some relevant extracts of an email to another
list.

>          This first-hand report of the demonstration was written by Peter
> Dobkin Hall, now at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard, and
> formerly the founding director of the Program on Non-Profit Organizations
> (PONPO) at Yale.

<SNIP>

> >Though I'm generally skeptical of the claims of techno-utopians about the
> >political potential of the new technology and have tended to agree with
> >critics like Skocpol and Putnam directed against the faux membership
> >organizations that  now dominate national interest politics, this event
> >has given me reason to  re-think these positions. Obviously technology has
> >limits.  Obviously nonprofit advocacy has its flaws. At the same time,
> >there may be new formations emerging in public life involving voluntary
> >groups and the uses of technology that warrant our attention.
<SNIP>

Marghanita

Antony Barry wrote:
<snip>
> I might also try to bring some topical focus into the debate. My
> comment that the scope and coordination in the demonstrations was
> likely to have been done via the internet was an attempt to do this.
<snip>
--
Marghanita da Cruz
E-Business Advice, Planning & Implementation Management Services