Transborder privacy control [was: [LINK] Mumbai Jumbo]

Stephen Wilson swilson@securenet.com.au
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:34:43 +1100

It is not actually necessary for the other jurisdiction to have privacy laws (although it is better if it does).  What is necessary is that the sender of personal information to a recipient in another jurisdiction has made sure that the privacy of that information will remain reasonably protected.

NPP 9 states:

"An organisation in Australia ... may transfer personal information ... to someone ... who is in a foreign country only if:
"(a) the organisation reasonably believes that the recipient of the information is subject to a law, binding scheme or contract which effectively upholds principles for fair handling of the information that are substantially similar to the NPPs; or
"(b) the individual consents to the transfer; or ...
"(f) the organisation has taken reasonable steps to ensure that the information which it has transferred will not be held, used or disclosed by the recipient of the information inconsistently with the NPPs."

So our law allows for means other than legislation to enforce Australia's privacy principles over particular instances of personal data sent overseas.

In my view, the current light touch privacy regime may encourage organisations to:

(i)   require off-shore call centre contractors to have good privacy policies and practices,
(ii)  better still, try to impose Australian style policies and practices on contractors,
(iii) include those policies and practices in their contracts with the off-shore call centre,
(iv)  most important of all, seek independent verification of the contractor's actual adherance to those policies and practices.

If things do indeed evolve this way then the focus will shift onto the 'goodness' of privacy audits done in other countries.

Cheers,

Steve.

Stephen Wilson
Director, Identity Management