[LINK] Re: RFI: Help re SPAM Privacy Laws

Jas Przychodzen/CoM Jas.Przychodzen@marion.sa.gov.au
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:52:58 +1030

Even thought it pains me to say this, I think that there is nothing that
can be done
about this (by the 'injured' body) . In the same way that when one commits
a Phone number to
the public domain by printing it on a job ad thus inviting cold call sales,
same applies to the email.
You make the decision to release the number.

You can mitigate the impact for doing so (and usually do) by putting a low
cost labourer (ie: receptionist)
to screen the calls. You can do similarly with computers.
Anti-spamming systems atm are in infancy and whilst some claim to be
heuristic the collateral damage
is unnaceptable (eg: An e-newsletter considered spam). You can block out
emails from a domain
but the process is painful and even where automation is possible its akin
to knocking out all the phones
from a suburb to screen a cold calling sales mob.

Microsoft (ptui) has a project that if realised (knock on wood) would mean
we would all pay for emails. Thus enhancing our privacy and return to
Microsoft shareholders.
Read all about it.
http://research.microsoft.com/research/sv/PennyBlack/

Jase Przychodzen, System Manager. City of Marion.
The content of this message is my personal opinion and may not represent
the policy of my employer.
If in doubt, please check with me. Without Prejudice.
+61-8-83756830 http://www.marion.sa.gov.au

"There is no honour in striving to be better than your fellow man,
instead strive to be better than yourself from days past."  -- A.

                    Roger Clarke
                    <Roger.Clarke@xamax.       To:     link@anu.edu.au, privacy@lists.efa.org.au
                    com.au>                    cc:
                    Sent by:                   Subject:     RFI: Help re SPAM Privacy Laws
                    privacy-admin@lists.
                    efa.org.au

                    17/02/03 02:58 PM

Maybe someone else can offer a better, or enhanced, answer to this
question.

>I hope you can help me.  In [an Australian newspaper] last Saturday
>I got an email address in regards to a company searching for a new
>employee.  My letter to this company was to offer the opportunity to
>service this company to supply a product that was stated in the ad
>for the potential employee.
>
>This company came back in an email address saying that we are not
>allowed to do this and that they will be redirecting this kind of
>email to appropriate authorities including ORB.
>
>I'm not out to cause trouble, nor is my company, but I found your
>web site with this contact email address.  Can you help?  I believe
>that privacy laws have come into effect so private information can't
>be sold and to protect private information, so how is something like
>this supposed to be illegal if they printed their email address in
>the newspaper in the first place?
>
>I am really wanting some confirmation that we havn't done anything
>wrong in regards to privacy laws in this instance.  Also what is ORB?

As I understand it, the email-address you sent to is that of a
company.  If so, then the privacy laws aren't in play, because the
data of a company is not covered under privacy law.

(If the email-address is that of a person, including an
unincorporated buiness enterprise, then you might well be in breach
of the privacy law.  The purpose of their publication of the
email-address seems to have been pretty clear, and the purpose for
which you used it was pretty clearly not a purpose for which it was
published.  That said, that law is such a huge mess that I doubt if
anyone knows the answer to that question).

There is not, to my knowledge, any Australian law that renders spam
illegal.  From the consumer's perspective, it would be nice;  but
it's difficult to come up with a law that would be enforceable, and
which wouldn't cause a huge amount of 'collateral damage'.  NOIE has
been examining the question with care:
http://www.noie.gov.au/projects/confidence/Improving/spam.htm

Because spam is rampant, ISPs have sought ways of protecting
themselves and their clients.  This involves blocking known sources
of spam.  This of course also involves considerable 'collateral
damage'.  ORB has been one such collaboration.  It focusses on one
particular problem:  ISPs that have a particular kind of security
weakness which enables bulk spam to be sent through them.  ORB has
copped a fair amount of flak (because of the collateral damage), and
I think it's now operating from http://ordb.org/.  But there are
several other services of consequence.

If the company reported you, and if the service you were reported to
agreed that your ISP should be listed, then that ISP could find that
mail being sent by *all* of its clients is blocked by large numbers
of other ISPs.  They wouldn't be very happy (the clients *or* the
ISP).  You might or might not be in breach of your ISP's usage policy
/ terms of contract.  If your ISP was hotmail, or indeed any other
service that has been known to enable abuses in the past, then the
implications could be pretty substantial.

This is not advice, of course, nor a careful analysis;  just some
quick reactions to your question.  It's not advice, not only because
you didn't pay for it;  but also because I don't have time to keep up
with, and document, all of what goes on in this area.  My page at:
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/II/Spam.html
remains useful, but would need a lot of work to bring it up to date.

--
Roger Clarke              http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd, 78 Sidaway St, Chapman ACT 2611 AUSTRALIA
                 Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916
mailto:Roger.Clarke@xamax.com.au            http://www.xamax.com.au/

Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program, University of Hong Kong
Visiting Professor in the Baker Cyberspace Law & Policy Centre, U.N.S.W
Visiting Fellow in Computer Science, Australian National University

The City of Marion is committed to providing our customers with excellent
service. If we can assist you in any way please either telephone (08) 8375
6600 or visit our website http://www.marion.sa.gov.au
The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the
person(s) to whom it is addressed and may be confidential or contain
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are
hereby notified that any perusal, use, distribution, copying or disclosure
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please
immediately advise us by return email and delete the email without making a
copy.
Think before you Print

Scanned by Trend ScanMail