[LINK] Apparently useless Mac Software

Antony Barry tony@tony-barry.emu.id.au
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:03:30 +1100

On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 06:57 PM, Rachel Polanskis wrote:

> I wasn't casting aspersions on your son at all -

I didn't think you were. I was just showing off!

>  in fact he must be bloody genius
> compared to me ;)

You sound very smart but Andrew did write his first compiler when he
was 16 for a school project. It was a Modula 2 compiler written in C.
He reverse engineered it from a compiler which he had on disc but no
documentation. He was proud (!!) of the fact that there was only one
comment in the code which I think was there to let him go to a
particular spot with the editor. In 1994 when he was 21 he wrote the
code to put the Commonwealth budget on the web. He thinks in algorithms
but three little daughters are starting to slow him up!

Through university he only got Ds and HDs except in his last year when
he only got a credit in one subject but he was working full time and at
night to interface the Commonwealth Parliament's internal email system
with that at electoral offices.

I find him a bit scary but love him dearly. The rest of the family are
rather fun too http://tony-barry.emu.id.au/people/tony/children.shtml

Tony

phone : +61 2 6241 7659 | mailto:me@Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: +61 4 1242 0397 | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au