[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney

Craig Sanders cas@taz.net.au
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:51:53 +1100

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 07:36:32AM +1100, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> The point about people being more afraid of Howard is an interesting
> one.  Reminds me of the fable of the 'little boy who cried wolf' one
> too many times.  What happens when Australia is really in imminent
> danger?  Kevin Rudd made the comment, "It's the region, stupid",
> taking off on Clinton's famous "It's the economy, stupid".

yes.  i find it very difficult to believe ANYTHING that is being said at
the moment.  the whole "war on terror" seems just a little too much like
Orwell's permanent war footing...far better than the War on Drugs,
better even that the Cold War.

it's all lies.  nothing but lies, disinformation, and censorship.

try searching the american media for any mention of the anti-war
protests.   very few have even mentioned that they happened, and those
that did either down-played or ignored the significance and grossly
underestimated the numbers(*).  no mention of the millions who protested
the war, no indication that there is widespread popular dissent.

(*) it was amusing to see channel 7 try the same thing on Friday night.
their first news reports were estimating 10,000 to 15,000 people at the
rally in Melbourne.....as usual, they grossly under-reported the
attendance...they must have realised they were undermining their own
credibility because the revised numbers were a lot closer to reality.
Channel 9 did better, estimating over 100,000.  channel 2's first
estimates were between 100,000 & 200,000.  eventually they all settled
on the under-estimate provided by the Police of 150,000.  true numbers
were probably closer to 250,000.

this is nothing unusual.  anyone who has been to a protest rally before
knows that the numbers are *always* under-reported, usually by a factor
of 5 or 10 to 1.  again, it's lies.  always lies.

another lie i want to know about is the truth about Saddam Hussein.
we only ever hear the US side of the story.  never Iraq's.  never any
arab country's side.

personally, i find it very curious that while you often *see* Saddam
Hussein on the TV, you never actually *hear* him say anything, at most
you hear a 10-second sound-bite from one of his ministers (immediately
dismissed as self-serving propaganda - as if Iraq had some kind of
monopoly on that).  i suspect that the reason for that is because he
might sound a lot more reasonable than what the US wants us to believe.

before this latest round of US imperialism, i was pretty firmly
convinced that Saddam Hussein was an evil bastard who needed to be
brought to heel.  However, the more i see of the rabid war-mongering
from the US and US apologists & lick-spittles like John Howard, the less
i am inclined to believe that.

i'd like the opportunity to hear him speak for himself, to make up my
own mind about whether i consider him to be a threat.  i'm quite
confident in my own ability to judge whether someone is a lying
psychopath or not (i see them on TV "news" every night)

i know some of the evil things he has done.  i also know some of the
good things he's done for his country (e.g. decent education and health
care, reasonable gender equality (for the region, that is), and he's
kept the government out of the hands of religious extremists).  aside
from killing Kurds and dissidents (which i'm not in any way trying to
excuse or justify), his record seems quite good....for the region.

he's not even alone in killing Kurds.  pretty much everyone in the
region has done that and continues to do that, *including* the Turks.
so where's the UN sanctions against Turkey?  or Iran?

this was has got nothing to do with how evil Saddam Hussein is.  nor is
it about alleged weapons of mass destruction.  they're just excuses.
he's no worse than any of the other leaders in the region, and is
possibly considerably better.  the weapons inspections ARE working, so
what's the hurry?  he has no links with Al Qaeda or bin Laden - they
hate each other's guts - for religious extremists like Al Qaeda,
non-sectarian leaders like Hussein are an enemy second only to the US.

in short, i don't *know* whether Saddam Hussein is evil.  i suspect he
is, but i just don't know.  i don't know whether he's a threat to other
nations - i doubt it very much but i suppose it is possible.

on the other hand, i *do* know that un-President George W. Bush, Dick
Cheney, Colin Powell, Donald Rumsfeld, Condoleezza Rice, John Ashcroft,
and the rest of the US gang *are* evil, and i know they are a threat to
other nations and to world peace.  they've demonstrated it over
and over again.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>