[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney

Craig Sanders cas@taz.net.au
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:51:07 +1100

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 10:06:02PM +1100, Grant Bayley wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Linda Rouse wrote:
> > Numbers rumoured at 250,000+ - certainly the biggest rally I've seen
> > in sydney since ant-vietnam marches some 30 years ago. Filled Hyde
> > Park and all surrounding streets.
> > Exciting to be there - all races, all ages ... but will it make a difference?.
>
> If only so it can't be said that "everyone is behind it" and that we're
> all lovey dovey in here, I hope such protests will make no difference at
> all.  I have my reasons for supporting action against countries such as
> Iraq and North Korea, not the least of which is a good knowledge of the
> history of the 20th century, which includes an understanding that
> appeasing, containing or being diplomatically circle-jerked by dictators
> such as Saddam Hussein or Kim Jong Il only tends to embolden them in the
> future.

what about appeasing non-elected usurpers like George W. Bush?  doesn't
appeasement just encourage and embolden them too?

iraq isn't a threat to anyone.

north korea is a worry, and getting more so every day.

the US, on the other hand, is bloody terrifying.  i'm trying very hard
not to think about what's going to happen when Iraq has been "dealt
with" and it becomes Korea's turn.  nuclear war in the pacific at the
very least.  possibly much worse if China gets involved.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.