[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney

Mark Hughes effectivebusiness@applications.com.au
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:32:50 +1100

> I am somewhere between "OK if the UN says it is" and "no war."

According to the opinion polls, a helluva lot of Australian's think removing
the security threat posed by Iraq is OK if the UN supports it, but not OK if
the UN doesn't.

Interesting point of view.  Dunno how it works, myself.  "Being proactive to
get rid of a dictator who has used weapons of mass destruction on his own
citizens is the right thing to do if the UN says so, but the wrong thing to
do if they don't".  Eh??

Well, personally, I don't give a stuff what the UN says.
And I don't give a stuff what George Bush says.
And I don't give a stuff what John Howard says.

If its the right thing to do, its the right thing to do, regardless of what
those three say.  And if its the wrong thing to do, its the wrong thing to
do, regardless of what those three say.

For me, ignoring what 'leaders' say, and instead making decisions based on
principles makes it real easy for me to arrive at a position:

The principle that its not acceptable for dictators to kill large numbers of
their own citizens makes it easy for me to say the US did the right thing in
stopping Milosevich's ethnic cleansing in Kosovo.  And it makes it easy for
me to say that the UN should be much more pro-active in getting rid of a few
other murdering dictators around the world, including North Korea and
Zimbabwe.

The principle of separation of church and state makes it easy for me to
condemn governments that are theocracies and make decisions based on a
specific Religion - so its easy for me to conclude that I don't support
those countries' governments in their current form (which includes almost
all Muslim countries, and Israel too, of course).  And it makes it easy for
me to condemn the US over their unquestioning support of Israel.

The principle of non-discrimination between sexes makes it easy for me to
condemn governments that don't support full equality of men and women -
which overlaps the previous group 'cause for sure there's no theocracies
that have anywhere near equality.

etc, etc, etc.

The more I ignore what 'leaders say', and instead work from fundamental
principles, the easier my decisions are.

BTW, that's why the opinion polls show Labour making no headway on the
Coalition.   John Howard is saying "this is the course of action, regardless
of what the UN says (whether he's right or wrong doesn't make too much
difference to many voters).  Simon Crean is saying "its the right thing to
do if the UN says so, but the wrong thing to do if they don't say so".
Until Simon and the Labour party start to underpin their policies with
consistent principles, its going to remain a no-contest.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
+61 4 1374 3959