[LINK] CDR Boosts Record Label Sales

Chirgwin, Richard Richard.Chirgwin@informa.com.au
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 07:40:18 +1000

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=46&u_sid=656596

[snip]
>The label, Smithsonian Folkways Recordings, is using recordable
>CDs, or CD-Rs, to ensure that each release in its extensive catalog is
> always available. In doing so, the label best known for dusty recordings
by
>Woody Guthrie and Lead Belly is taking initial steps toward creating a
>21st-century "celestial jukebox," where nothing recorded ever goes out of
print.

PS: I love Google news. So the story you want is in the NYT and you don't
want to register? Google News will probably find it among NYT's syndicate
customers...

This is particularly interesting in light of the typically pachydermous
behaviour by the major record labels deciding to start suing universities.
They could have sued a major corporate, but probably assume that companies
have better lawyers than universities.

RC