[LINK] Re: Reputation management

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke@xamax.com.au
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:20:34 +1100

"Jas Przychodzen/CoM" <Jas.Przychodzen@marion.sa.gov.au> to privacy list:
>A very, very good article discussing "Reputation management" ...
>http://www.mindjack.com/feature/spin.html

Reputation was initially an e-community concept, before it was
co-opted by marketing interests.  I'm really not sure where the
cyberculture community is hiding these days, so I've lost track of
the intellectual thread.

Ghosh in March 1998 considered reputation:
http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue3_3/ghosh/index.html

'Reputation management' was indeed in Jakob Nielsen's column in Feb 98:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/980208.html

The following page referred to it as 'a new buzz' in December 2000:
http://www.lefile.com/articles/ourview/reputation.htm

Yet it was already being written about by (normally laggardly)
academics in Dec 98:
http://us.badm.washington.edu/kotha/personal/ pdf%20files/amr_final.PDF
(warning - PDF, and there may be an embedded space or two in there)

Paul Resnick (once of W3C) is running a research centre centred
around the topic, whose Bibliography ties the idea back into what
would seem to be a longstanding economics literature:
http://databases.si.umich.edu/reputations/bib/bib.html

Interestingly though, Shapiro & Varian's 'Information Rules' (1999)
barely mentions it.  Even more remarkably, 'The Cluetrain Manifesto'
(1999) was all about it, but almost never mentions it:
http://www.cluetrain.com/

It's also not in the index of Rheingold's 'The Virtual Community'
(1994), which very much surprised me.  The concept is embedded in the
book though.

A technical approach is proposed in:
http://www.openprivacy.org/opd.shtml
http://www.openprivacy.org/papers/200103-white.html
That paper refers back to Tim May's term "reputation capital" in a
1994 cypherpunk paper 'Crypto Anarchy and Virtual Communities ', at:
http://www.idiom.com/~arkuat/consent/Anarchy.html
"The whole area of digitally authenticated reputations, and the
'reputation capital' that accumulates or is affected by the opinions
of others, is an area that combines economics, game theory,
psychology, and expectations. A lot more study is needed".
Unfortunately, that statement may be nearly as true now as it was then ...

My collated analysis of trust deals with reputation in various places:
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/EC/Trust.html

Jas, thanks for reminding me that I needed to do this trawl!

--
Roger Clarke              http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd, 78 Sidaway St, Chapman ACT 2611 AUSTRALIA
                 Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916
mailto:Roger.Clarke@xamax.com.au            http://www.xamax.com.au/

Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program, University of Hong Kong
Visiting Professor in the Baker Cyberspace Law & Policy Centre, U.N.S.W
Visiting Fellow in Computer Science, Australian National University