[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney

Chris Maltby chris@sw.oz.au
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:02:34 +1100

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 01:32:50AM +1100, Mark Hughes wrote:
> According to the opinion polls, a helluva lot of Australian's think removing
> the security threat posed by Iraq is OK if the UN supports it, but not OK if
> the UN doesn't.

Mark,

Don't get fooled by the silly position of Simon Crean. I agree
that it's important to take a stand based on principle, but you
can't ignore the cost side of this particular equation. There
has been almost no debate about how the US expects to deal with
Iraq after the invasion, nor of the actual cost in lives (short
and long term) of the various alternatives.  The problem is that
the US has made up its mind already, and absolutely _no-one_
believes they have done so for principled reasons, not even LJH.

I think if you'd asked all of the people at rallies last weekend
if they supported Hussein you wouldn't have found more than a
handful. What the reaction is against is the way the war option
is being railroaded as the only option, and the sudden urgency
for "regime change" in Iraq when the US and others were happy
to tolerate his brutality for the 20 years he was their "friend"
and ally against Iran.

It's an instinctive reaction perhaps (similar to the one you
have when the car salesman tells you that this deal is only
available today), but not any less valid for that. People can
tell when they're being conned, and that's what they feel is
going on now, regardless of their attitude to the Iraqi regime.

Chris