[LINK] Porkie in Copyright Evidence?

Antony Barry tony@tony-barry.emu.id.au
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:14:29 +1100

On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 01:44 PM, Chirgwin, Richard wrote:

> A little bit of searching - not much, I'll admit - but I can't find any
> evidence to support the inclusion of public libraries, in Australia,
> in the
> list of repositories of unlawful sound recordings. Can any Linker
> either
> support or disprove this?

I'd be amazed if many libraries provided accounts and disk space to
their users. What they do provide is access to the information which
means access to the net. Workstations in libraries may well be used to
download material and this may include copyright material but getting
it off the machine may be a problem. I doubt if many libraries are
enthusiastic about use of floppies or provide CD burners. If you know
what you are doing you can email the files to yourself BUT many
libraries install browsers in kiosk mode with such features blocked.
The various library lists I am on are often discussing such things.
The problem is not just breach of copyright but the problem of
workstations being hogged by people doing such things which are not
validly part of the libraries role.

tony

phone : +61 2 6241 7659 | mailto:me@Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: +61 4 1242 0397 | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au