[LINK] FC: Recording industry wants to scan .au university computers (fwd)

pche@unimelb.edu.au pche@unimelb.edu.au
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 06:07:04 +1000

>From another list.  There is also a story in the Age: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/02/19/1045330646291.html

I'd be interested in hearing linkers views on this, for a number of reasons:

1. What is the legal capacity of companies to demand private information from another entity in Australia? and
2. Given that email accounts may be used to conduct research, what is the status of any request given the requirements of researchers to secure their private discussions with respondents?

Peter

----- Forwarded message from Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com> -----

To: declan@well.com
Subject: Recording industry asks to scan university computers

Hi Declan,

I'm not sure if this is worthy of politech, but my University is being
targeted by Festival, Sony and EMI to hand over the web logs from our
proxy servers as evidence of mp3 sharing by students.

The following articles provide some commentary on these events.

- Recording firms ask to scan university computers
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/18/1045330603596.html

- It's war on a generation of cyber pirates
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/17/1045330539310.html

The first article reports:

"In Sydney yesterday, the companies - Festival, Sony and EMI - reached
agreement with the University of Sydney and the University of Tasmania
to preserve the files as evidence. The universities have not agreed to
hand over the information."

My question is, do record companies have a legal right to seize traffic
data for the purposes of their investigations?

Perhaps some politechers could comment on their perspective of these
actions?

Ian.

-----End of forwarded message from Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com> -----

--