[LINK] ACLU Challenges Wire-Tap Decision

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd@austarmetro.com.au
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:56:41 +1100

David Goldstein wrote:

> ACLU Challenges Wire-Tap Decision
> The ACLU wants the Supreme Court to review a decision by a
> secret U.S. court that makes it easier for the federal
> government to conduct clandestine surveillance in national
> security matters.
>  http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,57725,00.html

What the heck is a democracy doing with a secret court?

<quote>
The ACLU petition marks the first time the Supreme Court has been asked to
review the actions of the ultra-secret court system set up by the Foreign
Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978, which established a system for
reviewing the government's requests for wiretaps and surveillance used in
foreign intelligence gathering.

The court, composed of eleven federal district court judges appointed by
the chief justice, convenes two days a month in Washington, D.C.
</quote>

Are we seeing the USA turn itself into a fundamentalist democracy,
comparable with all those other fundamentalist religions?

The trouble with (fundamentalist==extreme) anything is that belief takes
over from (science==evidence), which is what separated the "developed"
world of western civilisation from the religious millenia of the past.

I find it somewhat amusing to see so many fundamentalist groups using
products of the industrial, secular, societies they so despise. Loud
speaker arrays that call the faithful to prayer, videos/DVDs used to pass
on the messages of preachers denouncing the evil west. Radio, TV, mobile
phones, email, banking systems etc etc.

--
If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil.
But the worst that you can say about him is that basically

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn
Canberra Australia