[LINK] Terrorist Warnings {OT}

Adam Todd adam@todd.inoz.com
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:38:54 +1100

At 08:31 20/02/03 +1100, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>At 06:22 PM 19/02/03 +0800, Jim Birch wrote:
>
>>Stage one: Regular Terror Alerts: After intense lobbying by hardware
>>stores and other establishments selling sundry supplies, the Feds will
>>issue terror alerts whenever the economy needs a "shot in the arm".
>>Typical announcement: "A recent uptick in 'chatter' leads us to believe
>>that a terrorist attack could occur anywhere in the United States, except
>>in participating Wal*Mart, Sam's Club, and Home Depot locations."
>
>I guess the arms sales are dropping and it's the domestic economy that
>they're after now.  Not sure how much seed corn you can use up in that
>way, though, given the crash in the markets and how much money people have
>lost [think superannuation and low interest rates returns for the senior
>citz too].

I noticed in a recent report on the US economy that they have been avoiding
declaring a Recession.  In fact, according to the definition of Recession
and Depression, I understand, from chatter, that the US is more in a
depression than a recession, but all the smoke has kept the attention from
the cash issue.