[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney -

Jan Whitaker jwhit@melbpc.org.au
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:12:23 +1100

At 09:13 AM 20/02/03 +1000, Chirgwin, Richard wrote:
>But given the choice
>between the UN exercising international authority and the US ditto, I would
>choose the UN. Not because I want to burn effigies of Dubbya; but because no
>individual nation should exert supreme international power. Not even a
>country with the most saintly record can guarantee its future leaders.

Absolutely.  I have no major quarrel with the UN. I was just pointing out
the reason it may be the way it is to Mark.  Principles are important, but
they are implemented by human beings.  There will be ironies as well, with
oppressive states being the rotating in chair of human rights
committees.  That's how the process works.  Maybe they'll learn something
by having that role that they may not have by just being another member.

BTW, today's Nyck Jeanns' Letter from New York
http://www.universalhood.com/writtenfiles/letter_ny/02.21.03.htm
is a good read.....

Jan

JLWhitaker Associates