[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney -

Howard Lowndes lannet@lannet.com.au
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:06:46 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Chirgwin, Richard wrote:

> No human institution is, or ever will be, perfect. But given the choice
> between the UN exercising international authority and the US ditto, I would
> choose the UN. Not because I want to burn effigies of Dubbya; but because no
> individual nation should exert supreme international power. Not even a
> country with the most saintly record can guarantee its future leaders.

...and the US definitely ain't no saint:

This test consists of one (1) multiple-choice question (so you better get
it right!)

Here's a list of the countries that the U.S. has bombed since the end of
World War II, compiled by historian William Blum:

China 1945-46
Korea 1950-53
China 1950-53
Guatemala 1954
Indonesia 1958
Cuba 1959-60
Guatemala 1960
Congo 1964
Peru 1965
Laos 1964-73
Vietnam 1961-73
Cambodia 1969-70
Guatemala 1967-69
Grenada 1983
Libya 1986
El Salvador 1980s
Nicaragua 1980s
Panama 1989
Iraq 1991-99
Sudan 1998
Afghanistan 1998
Yugoslavia 1999

In how many of these instances did a democratic government, respectful of
human rights, occur as a direct result?

Choose one of the following:

(a) 0
(b) zero