[LINK] Porkie in Copyright Evidence?

Tim O'Leary oleary@strategos.com.au
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:48:08 +1100

At 12:44 PM Wednesday 2/19/03 +1000, Chirgwin, Richard wrote:
>http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/18/1045330603596.html
> >Counsel for the companies, Mr Tony Bannon SC, said industry studies
> >of piracy had found public institutions such as universities and libraries
> >were the biggest repositories of unlawful sound recordings.
>Hang on... Tony Bannon SC is (under instruction from his clients) almost
>certainly quoting from US industry studies.
>A little bit of searching - not much, I'll admit - but I can't find any
>evidence to support the inclusion of public libraries, in Australia, in the
>list of repositories of unlawful sound recordings. Can any Linker either
>support or disprove this?

There is no doubt it will be RIAA "research" from USA which has only one
real aim, to get a tax on blank CDs that goes to the "recording companies".

Note there is no such thing as a big "recording company", they are multi
media complexes cannibilising their own income stream through DVDs, videos,
movies and merchandise and seeking to obtain effort free income through a
tax on CDs. They already get some free income from blank cassette tapes and
blank  "audio" CDs.

Part of the strategy is to blame the internet and "piracy" for alleged
falling music CD sales. In my view even the fact of falling CD music sales
is far from convincing. As an example Country CD Music sales in USA (and
world wide I believe) last year had an all time boom in sales. The fact
that the Michael Jacksons of this world sell 5 millions less CDs of their
latest (inferior) release isn't due to internet downloading or "piracy".

>This, I believe is important; if an urban myth takes off that Australian
>libraries are ripping off Sony et al, and if the urban myth goes
>unchallenged into the public record - then I guess it doesn't take much
>imagination to envisage a future in which these companies hold our public
>library system to ransom.

Libraries in Australia,  and from what I can glean,  in USA too, do not
have any digital storage facilities, hell some don't even allow downloading
onto a floppy. Given that even the crappiest highly compressed MP3 will be
around 2 or 3  MB there is no way they are being stored.

Might your learned friend the QC be referring to the practice of libraries
having libraries of music CDs to borrow? Which can be taken  home and
copied - if one was inclined to copy "Camelot" and "Barry Manilow's
greatest Hits". Hardly a hothouse of criminal activity.

The "music" companies are simply after an effortless income stream, via a
tax on blank CDs (and next DVDs)  which, despite their claims to the
contrary,  they do not have to share with the artists.

TIM O'LEARY
oleary@strategos.com.au
www.strategos.com.au