[LINK] FC: Recording industry wants to scan .au university computers (fwd)

Adam Todd adam@todd.inoz.com
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:09:16 +1100

>who are otherwise innocent of P2P sharing and that by displaying the logs,
>you are potentially violating the Privacy Act!

There is no violation of the privacy act if it's done by a Government
Agency or Government Corporation.  There is NO recourse under the privacy
act unless you are the Privacy Commissioner.

It's a watered down facade for what the public think means "confidential"
however it allows any government agency to use whatever information they
want and can get at any time from anyone, including private companies.  No
warrants required.  (Refer to Supreme Court hearing I think it was the 16th
or 20th of September 2002.)