[LINK] Porkie in Copyright Evidence?

Chirgwin, Richard Richard.Chirgwin@informa.com.au
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 07:23:27 +1000

Tim -
> There is no doubt it will be RIAA "research" from USA which
> has only one
> real aim, to get a tax on blank CDs that goes to the
> "recording companies".

Interestingly, I couldn't see any such research on the RIAA site either.

In fact, "libraries are repositories for pirate music" looks suspiciously to
me like one of those assertions that has been accepted as fact, without ever
being called out for proof. I found quite a number of references - in
articles, in speeches and so on - where people *said* public libraries were
hosting illegal music. But nobody actually sources their data. They just
repeat the allegation.

This is a bit like that old lie from the dotcom days about "Internet traffic
is doubling every hundred days", which nobody bothered sourcing until the
crash came.

I - and the ALIA - agree with you. "Library as P2P host" is pure moonshine.

>From the stuff I read on US sites - publisher groups, congressional
committees and the like - I note that there is surprising hostility from the
"content conglomerates"  towards the public library. So it's quite feasible
that someone decided to lump libraries in with all the other things they
hate, and it took off from there.

Richard Chirgwin