[LINK] FC: Recording industry wants to scan .au university computers (fwd)

Jan Whitaker jwhit@melbpc.org.au
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:35:37 +1100

At 02:39 PM 20/02/03 +1030, Glen Turner wrote:
>I find it remarkable that the press coverage assumes that
>the requests the record companies initially made of
>UniMelb were reasonable, when fufilling that request
>would have exposed UniMelb to the possibility of litigation
>from the student or worse.

I'm interested that you thought the press does assume it is reasonable.  If
they do, I wonder if the editorial pressures from the publishing companies
they work for is a reason for that?  If someone from a recording industry
came in and demanded their communications and leads, I'm sure the writers
who were so sympathetic would pitch a big fit!

Jan

JLWhitaker Associates
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit@melbpc.org.au  --  http://member.melbpc.org.au/~jwhit/whitentr.htm