[LINK] Homeland defense drives citizens to Web

Jan Whitaker jwhit@melbpc.org.au
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:46:31 +1100

At 10:53 AM 20/02/03 +1100, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>The organizations plan to update the site in coming months with local
>information such as evacuation plans in the top U.S. cities in the case of
>an attack. They also plan to create versions of it in other languages
>including Arabic. As part of the campaign, the U.S. Postal Service will
>send out brochures to every American. All of the ads will direct people to
>call 1-800-BE-READY to access a free brochure or visit the Web site.

I find it interesting that they didn't include the URL for the site in the
story!

It's  www.ready.gov  or just ready.gov .

Interesting to read the Terms of use of the site.  One that gives me all
sorts of confidence is this one: http://ready.gov/terms.html

Accuracy, Completeness and Timeliness of Information on the Site
We are not responsible if information that we make available on this site
is not accurate, complete or current. The materials on this site are
provided for general information only, and any reliance upon the material
found on this site will be at your own risk. We reserve the right to modify
the contents of the site at any time, but we have no obligation to update
any information on this site. You agree that it is your responsibility to
monitor changes to the site.

Oh, and if you send them any info, there is no privacy protection. You're
fair game, at least in the Terms info.  The Privacy statement says
different: http://ready.gov/privacy.html

If You Send Us Personal Information
If you choose to provide us with personal information -- like filling out a
Contact Us form with personal information and submitting it to us through
the website -- we use that information to respond to your message and to
help us get you the information you have requested. We only share the
information you give us with another government agency if your inquiry
relates to that agency, or as otherwise required by law. We never create
individual profiles or give it to any private organizations. Ready.gov
never collects information for commercial marketing.

Double speak.  Why would we expect any consistency? </sarcasm>

Jan

JLWhitaker Associates
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit@melbpc.org.au  --  http://member.melbpc.org.au/~jwhit/whitentr.htm