[LINK] SBS Insight

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd@austarmetro.com.au
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:46:25 +1100

Without getting into the rights and wrongs of any war against Iraq and
Australia's relationship with the USA, here is a less than impressive view
of how the Australian government treats its front line defence against
terrorism - the SAS. The issue is how the government classifies SAS
training:

<quote>
I mean, 26 killed and 700-odd injured (in training) since 1979. I mean, the
whole of the Australian Defence Force have not had that many killed in all
the deployments they've had since that time, and then they say that service
with the SAS Regiment is not hazardous.
</quote>

This is from last night's SBS Insight http://www.sbs.com.au/insight/#

February 20, 2003
Who Dares Wins
If Australia joins a war on Iraq our elite fighting force, the SAS, will be
right in the thick of it. Members of the Special Air Service Regiment have
already been sent to the Middle East. But even before these men leave the
country, they face possible injury and even death during the intensive
training that is synonymous with the SAS. While the regimental motto is
"Who dares wins", Christine Heard found that some former SAS soldiers and
their families are still fighting for what they see as adequate
compensation.
View Transcript

February 20, 2003
Senator Robert Hill Interview
Earlier today Jenny Brockie spoke to Defence Minister Robert Hill.
View Transcript

<brd>
Minister Hill's defence was "well, we checked with other similar countries
and our policy is in line with theirs." What a cop out.

I have a great deal of respect for those Australians who join up for the
military (and police and fire fighting etc).

What I don't like is the way governments have a tendency to take advantage
of the patriotism and public service attitude shown by these folks.

I'm starting to become less and less proud to be an Australian.
</brd>

--
Regards
brd