[LINK] Alston, ACS clash over IT unemployment

hartr@interweft.com.au hartr@interweft.com.au
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 07:10:09 +1000 (EST)

On 21 Feb, Ann Moffatt wrote:

> the ict industry in oz has traditionally not spent enough on training.
> curricula in unis is about 4 yrs out of date & in tafe 2 yrs out of date.
> certifications can be easily 'fiddled' and many are worthless anyhow as
> they teach stuff about product rather than technique.

Not all certifications can be fiddled. Having had a very large hand in
designing the Red Hat certification program, I would suggest that it is
extremely difficult to fiddle (I would like to say impossible, but one
cannot really know this).

The examinations take a full day and 2/3 or the exam is performance
based. In particular, trouble shooting and fixing is tested - you get a
'broken' system and have to find out what is wrong and fix it.

This is pretty hard to fix.

--
Robert Hart					 hartr@interweft.com.au
Strategic IT & open source consulting                +61 (0)438 385 533