[LINK] {OT} Walk against War - sunday in sydney

Michael Still mikal@stillhq.com
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:15:26 +1100

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Antony Barry wrote:
>
> > Pythagoras invented the theorem for which he was named right? Actually
> > the Chinese and Indians did it first.
>
> Accoring to my (still remembered) school education, it was the Egyptians
> who used the 345 triangle to mark out the fields after each Nile flood. :)

According to the excellent "Fermat's Last Theorem" book on Andrew Wiles'
work, the Eygptions had an algorithm for the latout of fields, but didn't
really understand how it worked, whilst Pythagoras came up with a
generalised formula.

Draw your own IT analogies...

> ...or did the Chinese pre-date the Egyptians...or was it the alians :)

I don't think they ever dated.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) | Stage 1: Steal underpants