[LINK] More on the Music Industry

Chirgwin, Richard Richard.Chirgwin@informa.com.au
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:22:19 +1000

Hans, what you say is reasonable enough - except the premise that the
decline in income is even partly the result of Internet piracy.

There are many influences playing out simultaneously; and even though the
decline in income is partly contempraneous with the decline in revenue, that
is not sufficient to demonstrate causality.

It's been put, in overseas forum, that popular recording industries have,
over some years:
- reduced the number of artists in their catalogues (particularly by culling
new artists), at the same time as they have
- vastly escalated the spend on a small number of high-profile deals.
This looked like sound marketing economics, at the time - reduce the cost of
sales by shrinking the catalogue; expand the margin by focussing on products
of highest potential. The result, however, could be what's observed:
catastrophic decline in sales, because the catalogue isn't worth the
consumer's time and money.

Or it could be not Internet piracy, but the more simple tourism piracy.

Or it could be the decline of leisure - longer hours etc means less time to
listen to a CD.

So in criticising the industry - let's be more precise, and say "the popular
music segment" - for its attitude, I am particularly focussing on that part
of the industry which wants a 'free ride' on the consumer's back; and wishes
to do so at the detriment of the citizens' existing rights.

Now, to some details:
The purpose [of copyright] is to promote creative endeavour...
- ok. I'll buy that. In fact, the "anti-all-copyright" movement offends me
greatly; because mostly it's founded on "because I can" as the reason it's
okay to copy. But if copyright *as it is now practised* is failing its
mission, then a new model has to evolve.

> it takes a lot more resources to make a top quality recording of Berlioz'
Requiem or
> the complete Beethoven string quartets.
Hmmm. Yes and no. I can't speak for the Berloiz, but is a string quartet
harder to record and render than an electric band? Not necessarily. Yes, the
Beethoven is a demanding piece of performance - but it's not an especially
demanding recording task.

A symphony orchestra is a different beast alltogether. There aren't many
studios fit to the task of providing a recordable silence into which an
orchstra can play; you have to make tradeoffs because the number of
instruments is so much greater than the number of available recording
tracks; so a great symphony recording is a work of genius by the producer.

Returning to topic: the EMIs of the world trot out the "cross subsidy"
argument so often that I doubt its validity. They make the same claim about
the local pop scene, ie "we charge $30 for Bruce Springsteen so we can find
the next silverchair". But it's not an assertion that stands much
scrutiny...

Richard Chirgwin