[LINK] More on the Music Industry

Brendan brendansweb@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:37:52 +1100

It is true that there are two ostensible purposes for copyright.  The first, as Chris (quoting Stallman, although others
have said it) noted is to ensure the distribution of content.  The second is to secure the creation of content.  New
technology is attacked precisely because it accomplishes the first better and faster than publishers and distributors
can. If there was an honest debate on this topic new technology would be embraced for doing this rather than vilified.
The question then, as Hans correctly observes, is how to promote the creation of content and is copyright the way to
achieve this.

Copyright is a system which has as its premise that the production of music must be driven by a product, not a services
model. It is a product model which is subsidised by the granting of monopoly rights to (in practice) publishers and
distributors. The content industry is unique in this respect.  No one blathers on about how other services industries
need a product model to work (no one worries about starving lawyers - or starving plumbers for that matter). The product
model for music is a fantasy encouraged by music publishers and distributers which, incidentally also conveniently tends
to greatly favour them. Structurally, in the world of performers it produces a handful of extravagant winners and a vast
sea of losers with publishers and distributors inserting themselves as middle men in every transaction. The less people
spend on canned music qua product the more they will have available to spend on music qua service - such as live
performance or comissioned works. And consequently the more winners there will be among performers, although the wins of
those winners may not be as great as those of the current privileged handful.

Second, if it does have the effect of subsidizing these other productions this subsidy is an indirect one, and one in
which publishers and distributors still extract monopoly profits in the course of providing. Why shouldn't citizens have
more say about where their money is being spent and give subsidies directly to performers without having to also pay a
profit component to a middle man?  Again, the people who benefit from this way of providing subsidies are distributors
and publishers.

Third, there is nothing stopping the people who want classical or other non mainstream brands of music from forming
their own consortia or subscription services to create recordings that they want and probably doing so for a cheaper price.

Much debate within and of the music industry is obscured by refusal to see the reality of the mud footed product model
for music.

Brendan