[LINK] The Internet and the Iraq peace movement

Ash Nallawalla nospam@crm911.com
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:51:08 +1100

> From: Jan Whitaker

> At 11:42 AM 24/02/03 +1100, David Lochrin wrote:
> >From the weekly email publication "Slattery's Internet Watch" - see
> >http://www.slatteryit.com.au

> >The Victorian Peace Network ( http://www.vicpeace.org ) had never
> >ranked until last week, when it surpassed all major Australian
> >political Web sites, HitWise found.

> It is also getting a 5/10 rating from Google's page
> ranking.  Now I remember, I used the search terms "peace
> network Australia"

Slattery gets a 0/10 Google ranking :-(  It is probably because they do
not link to any site that I can tell and nobody must be linked to them -
which is a negative for Google.  Vicpeace has links from over 100
similar sites and has oodles of text.

Hitwise bases its rankings from unspecified participating ISPs who
provide data:
http://www.hitwise.com.au/ss/methodology.html#0.  Also see item 6 on
that page.

The Google page ranking can fool newcomers to the page raking concept,
as it caught me when my pages were #1 and #2 (for "crm consultant") for
many days, then they disappeared.  New or updated pages are put
temporarily on the first page as part of the "freshbot" effect,
presumably to give them a chance to be seen and pull an audience, which
is taken into account when a more permanent parking slot is allocated.
Now that I understand it, I know why my pages come and go from page 1.

- Ash