[LINK] Why so many of us think we're overtaxed

Saliya Wimalaratne saliya@hinet.net.au
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:55:25 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, David Boxall wrote:

> Lack of funds is often cited as a reason too little is done about
> rural telecommunications.   Ross Gittins' column from today's Sydney
> Morning Herald provides food for thought.  Perhaps the problem is
> we're not taxed enough.

Right. Good call, Ross.

As someone paying the maximum income tax + GST + other-tax-that-I-don't-know-the-name-of, I'd like to say that my viewpoint differs somewhat. I'm
more than a little resentful of the tax that I pay.

If I were to retire after 7 years of service, I would not be retiring on
$70k + whatever investments I'd managed to secure during my tenure. Okay,
now you've deduced that I'm not a State or Federal polly.

I don't have the opportunity to say 'well, actually, I just don't want to go
back to work'. Of course, that's not strictly-speaking true - I *could* say
tomorrow that I don't want to go to work, and my friends the Aust. govt. would
happily subsidize me for the rest of my life on $160/wk. But there's no way
that I'd be able to *ensure* that this would be the case - in 10 years, my
friends the Aust. govt. could turn around and decide "well, now the voters
want you to pay your way". So I have to make plans for
my future. And because I believe I should provide for myself, I am thus
put into the bracket of folks that should provide for everyone else, too.

There's more and more reasons for folks like me to move overseas in terms
of taxation - total tax paid by people earning what I do is much lower in
pretty much every other developed country. This is why we (.au) are suffering
intellectually - because "intelligence-required" jobs are highly-paid;
and highly-paid folks are penalized more than most in .au. I haven't
succumbed yet - but a lot of the folks that I used to interact with have
done so. There are more like them every day - more people taking their
knowledge and information out of our country because it's simply not
worth their while to stay. Which stinks.

I respectfully submit that we must offer some kinds of tangible rewards
for keeping the intellectual abilities within this great country before
*everyone* decides that the owner of the I.P. should reside within
the B.V.I. I respectfully submit that Mr. Ross Gittins is incorrect.
My viewpoint is skewed, I know that - but present me with alternatives !

Regards,

Saliya