[LINK] Why so many of us think we're overtaxed

Chirgwin, Richard Richard.Chirgwin@informa.com.au
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:36:58 +1000

> There's more and more reasons for folks like me to move
> overseas in terms
> of taxation - total tax paid by people earning what I do is
> much lower in
> pretty much every other developed country.

Sal - so does that mean Ross Gittins is lying? The points he made were
straightforward enough: that the "Australians pay more tax" line in the
media is achieved by fiddling how it's reported. We bundle unemployment etc;
America (for eg) separates it from the "tax" system (like John Howard's
"this is a levy not a tax"). If he's wrong, repeating the original assertion
doesn't address the argument.

Am I paying max income tax? Yes. Like everybody who pays it, only on the
upper margin of my income. Would I like to see it better spent? Certainly.
If I believed that an increment of another cent or two in each bracket would
go to the public infrastructure like education, I'd even submit to an
increase.

If I sound unsympathetic, it's for good reason. I >am< unsympathetic. If
taxes were to be cut, I would sincerely hope it were directed to the bottom
of the scale, not the top.

Richard