[LINK] World's biggest Luddite bares teeth in IT jobs spat

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd@austarmetro.com.au
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:09:33 +1100

World's biggest Luddite bares teeth in IT jobs spat
By Drew Cullen
The Register

Senator Richard Alston, Australian folk hero and the world's biggest
Luddite, is squabbling again, this time with the Australia Computer Society
(ACS). Last week the organisation said the jobless rate was 11.9 per cent.

Wrong, according to Senator Alston, the country's pugnacious minister for
Communications, Information Technology and the Arts. The real figure is 3.8
per cent, he claimed. Only, being an Australian politician, he did not put
it quite so politely, accusing
<http://www.dcita.gov.au/Article/0,,0_4-2_4008-4_113378,00.html> the ACS of
"'blatant grandstanding', using false figures. 'While some might like to
claim otherwise, the fact is that it is not all gloom and doom for the ICT
sector in Australia.'"

So everything is rosy in the Australian IT jobs garden, then? Err, doesn't
seem like it from the soundings
<http://afr.com/it/2003/02/25/FFXVR1S9JCD.html> taken by the Australian
Financial Review.

Alston has fallen out with the ACS before, recently over Australia's IT
deficit, which he thinks is a good thing, and which the ACS thinks is bad.
Here is the ACS defence <http://www.acs.org.au/news/021202.htm> against
what it calls senator Alston's "stinging criticism".

Here is Alston's well-reasoned (yes, really, when you consider what it
could have been) response
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,5861064%5e15851%5e%5enbv%5e15309,00.html>

--
I like to think of my best moment on the job as quiet victories. Victories
over what? Over the "system", over the various bureaucracies not watching

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn
Canberra Australia