[LINK] Why so many of us think we're overtaxed

James Pearce james.pearce@zdnet.com.au
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:42:38 +1100

> Taxation cuts are mostly directed at winning votes. Therefore, they
> will be offered to the greatest number of people; which won't be the
top-level
> income earners. Your 'hope' in this instance is almost assured by virtue
of
> the reasons for the cuts in the first place :)

Tax cuts to the lowest brackets also affect those in the highest brackets,
because of the way our tax system is structured. For example, if the
tax-free threshhold is raised to $10,000, and nothing else changes, everyone
gets more money in the pocket. At least, everyone earning more money than
the current threshhold.

James