[LINK] Why so many of us think we're overtaxed

Craig Sanders cas@taz.net.au
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:51:44 +1100

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:54:05AM +1100, Saliya Wimalaratne wrote:
> > If I sound unsympathetic, it's for good reason. I >am<
> > unsympathetic. If taxes were to be cut, I would sincerely hope it
> > were directed to the bottom of the scale, not the top.
>
> Taxation cuts are mostly directed at winning votes. Therefore, they
> will be offered to the greatest number of people; which won't be the
> top-level income earners.

on the face of it, that seems like it would be a fairly logical,
sensible, and reasonable assumption to make.

however, it's not true.  income tax cuts are almost always directed at
the highest income earners, rarely to middle-income and never to
low-income.

the low and middle-income earners bear most of the tax burden, partly
because the tax system is deliberately structured that way, and partly
because they can't afford the kind of tax avoidance and tax minimisation
"opportunities" available to the wealthy.

> Your 'hope' in this instance is almost assured by virtue of
> the reasons for the cuts in the first place :)

sadly, no.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>