[LINK] Why so many of us think we're overtaxed

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd@austarmetro.com.au
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:03:45 +1100

Craig Sanders wrote:

> absolutely.  the thing that really struck me during the debates that
> raged over the GST-fueled tax cuts a few years ago, was that the most
> obviously fair tax cut wasn't considered or discussed seriously by
> anyone - i.e. raising the tax-free threshold to a reasonable level (IMO,
> a "reasonable level" is around $15-$20,000, much higher than the current
> level of just under $6000).

I have a problem with the tax free threshold.

People who don't pay tax would have no ownership of the funding of the
country and it could promote an outsider culture.

It's bad enough having the rich and powerful feel that they are outside the
system, I don't think much good comes from even more believing that
"normal" rules don't apply to them.

Everybody should contribute to the upkeep of the community, that way they
are more likely to feel they belong.

--
The tax collector must love poor people, he's creating so many of them.
-- Bill Vaughan

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn