[LINK] Censorship Issues..

Viveka listmail@karmanaut.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:57:19 +1100

At 9:20 PM +1100 17/2/03, Bob Bain wrote:
>          a) censorship
>          b) copyright
>  and  c) privacy were clearly labeled.

Hi Bob,

I'm glad you're unravelling these issues. In your earlier posts, as
well as letters to parliamentarians, they were intermingled, and I
hope that this process will allow you to separate them, for all our
benefits, including those of your causes which find community support.

Privacy concerns will probably find support on this list. Videos
which are illegally obtained, for example by invading privacy, are
evidence of crime, and their purveyors are accessories to that crime.
Censorship is an insufficiently powerful mechanism to deal with this.
Refusal of classification isn't enough; privacy invaders should be
stopped and punished.

Material which simulates invasion of privacy is quite different.
There is a school of thought that such material can incite actual
invasion of privacy. Right now I'm watching 24, which deals with
villains who are attempting to set off a nuclear bomb, and heroes who
deal out summary execution. Community standards evidently consider
that this will not incite viewers to set off nuclear devices or to
kill criminals without trial. That analogy seems to me to be
applicable, but perhaps not to you, since you appear to oppose
material simulating invasion of privacy.

Copyright issues will probably receive a mixed reception on this
list, since copyright in the age of mass publishing and near-free
distribution and reproduction is in contention.

You have stated that you are against censorship for its own sake. Why
then are you opposed to videos of (ahem) coprophilia? It would appear
that people are engaged in consuming one another's bodily excretions
willingly, however unappetising that may be. I don't want to watch
people doing this, so I don't, and no-one who doesn't wish to see
this is being forced to, as far as I know. So what's the problem?

Just wondering,

V.
--
Viveka Weiley, Karmanaut.