OFF TOPIC Re: the rich and corporate parasites Re: [LINK] Why so many of us think we're overtaxed

Chris Maltby chris@sw.oz.au
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:56:51 +1100

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:30:02PM +1100, Gordon Keith wrote:
> Can you provide a reference?

> I can't find anywhere where Jesus said it was evil to be rich.
> He did say:

> "It is much harder for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God than
> for a camel to go through the eye of a needle."

> But that's about as close as I can find.

AFAIK there is no outright equivalence made between evil and wealth,
but the scriptures offer little encouragement to the wealthy. For
example:

    Timothy 6:10. 'For the love of money is the root of all evil:
    which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith,
    and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.'

Which doesn't condemn money or wealth, but the love of accumulation
which denies persuing the faith (and presumably the love of more
important things). At another place Jesus cautions against being
worried about posessions because your heart will be on them instead
of better things.

And the one you misquote:

    Mark 10:25 'It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a
    needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.'

which in one interpretion refers to the way camels would be unloaded
outside a particularly narrow gate of Jerusalem as entering loaded up
with goods was impossible...

PS I'm no Christian...