[LINK] Re: OFF TOPIC Re: the rich and corporate parasites

Deus Ex Machina vicc@cia.com.au
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:07:39 +1100

Chris Maltby [chris@sw.oz.au] wrote:
> > Chirgwin, Richard [Richard.Chirgwin@informa.com.au] wrote:
> >> The tax argument makes people feel nice and warm; but using
> >> low tax to foster external dependency is no better an idea
> >> than using high tariffs to foster internal dependency.

strongly disagree. its not about external dependency its about
increasing opportunity.

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 05:40:06PM +1100, Deus Ex Machina wrote:
> > companies compete for every dollar they earn. (excluding monopolies
> > like telstra) so why should government not have to compete for tax
> > dollars? globalisation is doing just that, ineficient and overtaxing
> > governments that dont provide the benefits to individuals and
> > corporations will loose out to governments that do.
>
> And who will be the regulator of governments to stop them behaving
> anti-competitively; or exporting economic refugees; or destroying
> the global environment for local advantage etc etc? The WTO?
> Don't make me laugh...

who regulates which species survive and evolve?

globalisation has already happened. many companies
and many individuals already shop around for a better home base. I know plenty of
uni grads heading os to avoid HECS and seek better pay and lifestyle. why should companies not
do that?

I am not seeing your point of view. I dont see a relationship between high
tax and environmental protection. I do see a relationship between high
tax and government inefficicency and high tax and an active tax avoidance industry.

if lowering taxes results in an increase in revenue whats the problem?

Vic